Monday, February 25, 2008

I must be blessed

I went to KFC for lunch. Perhaps that was the mistake I made. I parked the bike right in front of the door, bought a sandwich and fries and sat down to eat. When I came out my bike was gone. Did I mention this was lunchtime? 12 noon on a busy street.
A call to an officer friend (biker cop of course) and patience was all I had. We (two armed officers and myself) went into a notorious neighbourhood in search of my bike. Around every corner, in every alley, on almost every stoop, was a bike. And while everyone knew me and my bike (it is a unique machine to the island) no one saw it recently.
Luck changed when an older man who was clearly unhappy with the way his community was being negatively (albeit accurately) typecast dropped a clue that pointed us in the right direction, only to be set upon by an idiot who, in front of the officers, offered to give me information for a reward.
Within 15 minutes I had my bike back with minor damages where they unsuccessfully tried to hot wire a machine that shuts down it's electrical system at multiple points, and scrapes from passing it along too many narrow alleyways, and one arrest was made.
I bought a round of Guinness for all the old men hanging around and they had a smile and another chapter to add to an all too familiar yet never ending book.
It all goes to show that who you know is so important. There were other police officers who happened to be on the scene and when I told them the situation they said, "Go file a report with CID" and left. My friend said if we hadn't gone in there within an hour, my bike was history. Hail the force.

1 comment:

Cogent chick said...

an older man who was clearly unhappy with the way his community was being negatively (albeit accurately) typecast...lol .. good stuff..

Victory!!... I'm impressed that your police force is actually solving crimes and not creating them

Good move on the Guinness ...