Tuesday, June 07, 2011

I ran last Friday.

Truthfully, "run" is just the simple excuse of a description.
It wasn't as chaotic as tumbling.
It definitely wasn't a graceful as sprinting.
It was rapid movement down a hill, chasing after my three dogs, using my legs
...
mostly...
somewhat.

The more in depth description involved a great deal of primal movement that has become second nature to me. Over the past two and half years, since adopting (as best as I can) the primal/paleo lifestyle much has changed, and even much more has happened. Today marks four months and four days since my Achilles tendon rupture. Two and a half months since I have been out of a cast. I am walking without the inverted commas/quotation marks. I am working out old-school primal/paleo style. And I am able to walk barefoot comfortably again.

*Digression: living barefoot is more comfortable to me than wearing shoes in any scenario (I consider wearing Vibram Fivefingers as going barefoot still). But with an inflexible tendon, comfort gave way to the physical inability to place my heel flat on the floor with my leg straight, hence the need for shoes with inserts.*

So while I amazed myself in moving so quickly all of a sudden, I am not so surprised that I am able to, all things considered. I have learned to adapt subconsciously to every situation I come across - be it conquer, change or submit - with remarkable fluidity. So "running" without the full use of my leg, while improbable, was not impossible for when it was called.

No comments: