Monday, January 29, 2007

Floater Diaries.002

While "resetting the cache" yesterday I was reflecting at the past fortnight during which I contracted and defeated two very different strains of flu viruses. This first was met with a hearty battle for dominance. The second came upon me like Paris' arrow. I was on my back, utterly useless for just over 24 hours on Friday. I marvelled at my luck in attracting these viruses in such close succession, but even more so, the ability to pass them through so quickly, each so completely opposite in method; the only common denominator being no medications. I say "method" because I consciously decided how I was going to treat each cold as I found myself afflicted - to fight one and to surrender to the onslaught of the other.

Now my wife is sick with the latter of my enemies, but determined to use the former of my strategies. It's hard to watch, but what can you do? She sees me walking normally just three days after falling almost comatose. Now she cries, writhing, fighting the pain being inflicted by the millions of microscopic invaders. I want to say accept the pain, relax in the burning heat, give in to the dementia, this is part of the process. But it is her nature to fight, regardless the beast at her door. So what do you do but let it be. In the end, we will have both survived, and thus both won our battles in our own ways. I ignored her remedies and she would ignore half of mine. Makes no difference. Only time knows or cares when it is all done.

It now occurs to me that we treat each other how we want to be treated. We say it as much in words, but we really put it out there in action. When I was down, I just wanted a bottle of water always full at the bedside and to be left alone with me nemesis. See you in the morning. That's pretty much how I treat people who are physically sick and working on it. Give them what they need, and get out of the way. I'll pat you on your back when you get out and say, "way to fight it", regardless of how you recovered. Others will bring you everything they think you need and want and make sure you know it's there. Every twelve minutes. Unless you're sleeping. And when they're infirm, you know the rest. What happens when you have one of each, in their respective extremes, facing the same situations, reversed within mere hours of each other?

It's only funny if you can extract your mind from it, believe me. See you on the other side of sick.

No comments: