Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Clean up on aisle 2


I realised today what I must accept mentally if I am to succeed... nay, at least to function physically. A part of my own history gives the best anecdote for the current chapter. As a warehouse worker many moons ago, I was one of two certified forklift operators. I took pride in my skill to maneuver the metal beast through fragile environments. It was a joy and a challenge, a skill and a job. Mostly a job. Move this from here to there. Don't get fancy. Don't break anything. That's it. Thanks.
Now as graphic designer in an agency, I find that with all the training, education, experience and aptitude for something better, I am still that forklift operator. Turn these words into pictures. Don't get fancy. Don't think. Thanks.
I am coming to terms with the fact that the more I bring, the more I lose. I am not a creative resource, I am a machine operator. For the sake of the work and my sanity from eight in the morning to five in the evening, this is my reality.
This career is becoming just another job.

No comments: