Friday, March 04, 2011

The Story of Achilles: Open Mouths and Pelau

Four weeks down, two more to go.


The padding in the cast, especially around my knee, is wearing thin. In less than a week I have mentally moved from apprehension to impatience towards the day the cast is removed.


I dream about taking a long, full shower. I can’t wait to float and soak in the ocean. I want to bend my knee and get back on my motorcycle, wearing my new helmets.


I have no false fantasies about running, jumping or even walking yet though. One step at a time. I really just want this cast off.


The inevitable loss of size in my leg is now glaringly evident as my thigh floats in the mouth of the fibreglass shell. My knee cracks frequently having more lateral movement available instead of its nature-intended flexions. Overall however, I am glad I have not fluctuated more than two pounds. Push-ups, pulls-ups, core exercises ensure I maintain some form and frame.




I’m having pelau for lunch.

No comments: